Updated: Mar 22, 2019
Is there a writer in you wanting to come out?
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has said to me over the years that they had a story to tell or something in their heart and spirit that they wanted to write. I wonder how many of them actually did. Perhaps self-doubt crept in. Maybe they didn’t know where or how to begin. The idea of being a “writer” can seem overwhelming and intimidating.
That was me in 2005. Six published books later, I’ve learned some things about writing – how and where to begin, how to develop a plan for completing a writing project, and most importantly how to give birth in words to what you are carrying in your heart.
Maya Angelou wrote, “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” Stephen King added, “Sometimes stories cry out to be told in such loud voices that you write them just to shut them up.”
People have stories inside of them that are meant to be told. Sometimes that story is deeply personal – like stories of heartache, loss, transformation and liberation. Sometimes the story shows up in the form of a profound understanding or expertise in areas such as relationships, spirituality, healing, creativity and authentic living. Other times it’s a story we have a fire inside to tell, even if it’s not our story specifically except for the mark it made on us. And then there are times when a story is born out of one’s imagination, where people and plots come alive and dance together in mysterious, enchanting, gripping ways that awaken, inspire, unlock, embolden us and make us look deeper.
Writing and publishing a book is not as exclusionary, mysterious or impossible proposition that people are often led to believe. From writing and publishing my own books and coaching other writers over the years, I developed a simple system any person can follow to write and publish a book. The process is not rocket science. That doesn't mean it is easy, but it's not difficult because it's complicated.
Repeat after me: I can do this!
I have found that most people greatly underestimate their ability to express themselves in words and simply need some guidance and support to do it.
A few ways I have worked with writers include:
• Creating a statement of intention for a writing project, and determining the essential parameters of fulfilling the project.
• Exploring what it means to write in integrity with ourselves, expressing our authentic personality, thoughts, feelings, and experiences, as well as determining what it means to complete the project in integrity.
• Establishing a book structure that effectively supports the intention of the writing project.
• Determining and incorporating self-care practices that nurture the inner life and creativity of the writer.
• Establishing a writing rhythm and schedule that supports the process of: writing content; submitting content for input and feedback; and having interaction and discussion about it.
• Investigating the possibilities and alternatives for publishing a book.
I created the Letting the Words Out Writing Course
The course is designed for any person who has an interest in expressing themselves through the written word, and has a writing project in mind that they would like to work on. The key components of the workshop include:
* Giving definition to a particular writing project for each workshop member, and achieving a 6-week goal related to that project
* Three 60-minute coaching calls with Jim for each workshop member about your writing project
* A weekly writing assignment related to your writing project
*This is a self-paced experience; complete the coursework at a pace that works best for you. Each module in the course will include a lecture video and a corresponding activity or assignment. These modules build on one another and so it is important that you fully complete the assignments for each module before moving on to the next one
How to register for the Letting the Words Out Writer's Workshop
The total cost for the course is $210, and each member is added to Jim's private Facebook Writer's Group, which is a community of writers who have or are working with Jim on major writing projects.
To register today, please visit the link below.